Blocked drains can make your house or garden stink to high heavens. In some homes, especially older ones, it can seem like every other week that your drain is blocked and smelling out your house. You cant spend all your time at work, or at the shops, so you’ll need to unplug that drain eventually and get rid of those unpleasant blocked drain odors. But how?
Option #1: The Good Ole Plunger
You’ve got the plunger in hand, what next?
- If you’re unplugging the sink in the bathroom or the kitchen, it just might be a double basin. If that’s the case you’ll need to make sure one side is plugged up before you begin plunging the other.
- The plunging motion you’ll need is a smooth up and down thrust. It may be difficult at first but as you gain momentum it will become easier. If you tense your core it may lend your arms extra strength.
- Get slippery. Sometimes it can be difficult to get the plunger moving. Adding some petroleum jelly can help the plunger move more easily.
So the plunger didn’t work but that doesn’t mean you need to stress. We’ve got the recipe your grandma might have used to get rid of drain blockages. It’s only suitable for blockages such as hair, toothpaste, or kitchen oils, but often those are the prime culprits! All you need is basic ingredients you can find in your kitchen!
- Pour a cup (250mL) of baking soda down the drain and leave for 20 minutes. Make sure you don’t use the sink during this time.
- Add a cup of vinegar to the mixture down the drain and leave for another 30 minutes.
- Finally boil a kettle-full of water and pour it down the drain. Repeat this step after 10 minutes.
Option #3: Call the professionals!
If the two options below haven’t worked out, you might have a bigger problem on your hands. You might have seen some stronger products on the market, or an electric plumbing snake you can hire, but these can be dangerous to you or your pipes if used incorrectly.That’s why you should use trust No Doubt Plumbing team to get your drains unplugged.
There’s no need for you to suffer the stench of a blocked drain any longer. With our experience and products we always get the job right, the first time, every time. Which doesn’t mean it has to be expensive. No Doubt Plumbing works anywhere in Melbourne at a flat fee that includes inspection and clearance with no hidden extras for only $175. You can trust that we are the most affordable plumbers in Melbourne.